Monday, August 26, 2013

Welcome!

At one point, I called my cooking "Cooking with Nothing".  I like to think that I've grown through that to see all of the possibilities that exist for delicious food without running afoul of any of the dietary restrictions, allergies, intolerances, or other challenges (like time, money, or patience!) I face in eating.  So, welcome to my new adventures - my eating exploits!  Whether you too are always looking for your next food idea, or face challenges, I hope you find something here.

I am always in a rush, so breakfast can be tricky, and key is having a portable, ready to eat meal for hockey rinks, boat trips, and travel.  This granola fits the bill, and is easy and tasty, to boot.

Basic Breakfast Granola:

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix together in a large bowl (or ziploc bag):
8 cups gluten free oats, 1 to 2 cups ground to fine crumb
3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tablespoons rice syrup
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Spread onto your large 11 x 17 baking sheet (or two, if you're using a 9 x 13 pan).  Spray with non-stick spray or line (I line mine with silicone baking mats).  Bake for 12 minutes.

Here's where you can get creative!  Choose the nuts and dried fruits you like, and mix together 3 cups total; I like a variety of nuts, some golden raisins and dried cherries, and sometimes dried apricots.  I usually split the nuts and fruit half and half.  So, mix the 3 cups of fruits and nuts into the oats on the baking sheet.   Bake 12 more minutes.  Remove from the oven, stir once, and allow to cool before crumbling it into your storage container.

Eat with almond milk (or your milk substance of choice).  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment